Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Online World Education Conference - Tony Wagner's Keynote

Yesterday, I attended Tony Wagner's keynote for the Online World Education Conference.

He's the founder of the Change Leadership Group at Harvard University.

He stressed on the need to prepare learners for PROFESSIONAL life rather than testing them on concepts.

As he says,

"The world doesn't care about how much you know, what the world cares about is what you can do with what you know" 

I totally agree. I've seen my classmates who were gold medalists/above 3.5 GPAs having no VISION in their lives. They probably knew more than I did, however, they never used it to anyone's advantage. 

He also talked about 7 survival skills that children need to learn to be successful in any profession.


In the 21st century, the learners need to know how to make a difference in the community/world, have a vision, have empathy, realise the importance of collaboration rather than ace tests.

He repeatedly talked about how tests show little if anything about a child's capabilities.

His session had me thinking:

How can I change the standardized assessments we are taking every month?
And if i change them, how do i counsel parents to accept the change?

I think i'm going to try to get his book "Creating innovators"
might get some answers there.




No comments:

Post a Comment